4. Scaling Up
Welcome to Scaling Up! This phase of the Collaborative Change Cycle is all about building alignment to focus effort on the things that are working, while letting go of the things that aren’t. It is also about building the infrastructure and capacity needed for system change and celebrating learning and progress to maintain momentum and keep people engaged.
What you might see
- Multiple co-ordinated innovations;
- Progress from ‘quick wins’ to addressing more complex system issues and barriers;
- Changes in policy, funding and the rules of the system;
- Diversion of funding toward what works and away from what doesn’t;
- Active participation of non-local stakeholders;
- Permission from funders for service providers to shift from ‘business as usual’ to addressing locally identified priorities;
- Formalised prototypes;
- Formalisation of an experimentation and innovation pipeline;
- Adoption of effective models from beyond the locality;
- Scaling up of successful models locally, in other locations, and at the policy level;
- Innovation in partnering e.g. organisations taking on specialised roles and staff working across different organisations (matrix management).
What you can do
- Co-ordinate innovation to avoid too much going on at the same time and to ensure that it is targeted to priority issues that are amendable to innovative responses.
- Engage in innovative commissioning.
- Develop and work with/in different business models.