3. Creating a Shared Vision
Welcome to Creating a Shared Vision! This phase of the Collaborative Change Cycle is all about refining the focus of collaborative efforts and formalising the approach, infrastructure and resources required to achieve shared goals.
What you might see
- Mindsets beginning to shift, and a growing understanding and experience of working adaptively;
- Priorities being set by the community decision-making structure;
- The agenda for change being explored in more detail, and a clear scope and goals are being defined;
- People and organisations formalising their commitment to the shared agenda through written agreements;
- The formalisation of a backbone entity (if not already in place);
- The backbone taking a comprehensive coordination role, in conjunction with a leadership group(s) and working groups.
What you can do
- Establish a community decision making structure that will set priorities for change and oversee the work;
- Build a roadmap for change (medium to long term strategy to deliver the agenda);
- Facilitate the community decision-making structure to set priorities and create a 6 to 12-month action plan for moving the agenda forward;
- Foster a culture of curiosity and learning, in which community members (and potentially stakeholders) can share knowledge, skills, experiences and insights, while working productively with different views for the benefit of the whole community;
- Work with the community decision-making structure and broader collaboration to translate the priorities into an agreed theory of change and action;
- Create processes to formalise commitment and membership of diverse stakeholders, not all of whom are part of an organisation;
- Ensure that community voice and perspective are reflected in the agenda and plan of action;
- Create formal and informal strategies to keep people informed, that reflect diverse communication styles and platforms;
- Develop ways to share the story of what is happening, what has worked and what is being learned.