3. Creating a Shared Vision
Welcome to Creating a Shared Vision! This phase of the Collaborative Change Cycle is all about refining the focus of collaborative efforts and formalising the approach, infrastructure and resources required to achieve shared goals.
What you might see
- Community access and input to the partnership’s evidence bank;
- A clear evidence-based direction for the initiative;
- The shared agenda being used to guide activity and to build understanding about what is working, what isn’t working, and what is needed;
- The development of supporting systems for:
- Reflective processes
- Data governance and management
- Shared measurement
- Planning processes that leverage data and lessons
- Documentation/recording conventions.
- Agreement about specific goals, targets and measures;
- Formal commitments to share data and engage in mutual learning;
- The collection of data for shared measures (which at this stage are likely to be selected from existing indicators, while in time the initiative may develop its own indicators);
- Partners focusing on the combined impact of different elements of the system, not just their own efforts.
What you can do
- Understand the measurement and learning needs of the partnership and the initiative. What resources (expertise, capacity, systems, etc.) are required? When? How much? For how long?;
- Slowly and iteratively co-develop the Theory of Change for the initiative. This will help with the setting of shared and agreed goals, targets and ways of working;
- Identify your data needs, which will span target setting, performance monitoring, continuous learning, and communication to stakeholders;
- Bring together the elements of measurement and learning into a formal measurement, evaluation and learning (MEL) framework focused on the performance of the backbone, the partnership, the system level impacts of the Collective Impact initiative. The MEL will need to be regularly reviewed and updated;
- Seek formal commitments to resourcing and implementing monitoring, evaluation, learning and shared measurement plans and systems.