4. Scaling Up
Welcome to Scaling Up! This phase of the Collaborative Change Cycle is all about building alignment to focus effort on the things that are working, while letting go of the things that aren’t. It is also about building the infrastructure and capacity needed for system change and celebrating learning and progress to maintain momentum and keep people engaged.
What you might see
- A community designed, owned and run shared measurement system, including indicators of progress and impact;
- A backbone with appropriate resourcing (expertise, funds, etc.) supporting the learning, measurement and evaluation needs of the initiative;
- Measurement and learning efforts supporting the identification of new catalysts to maintain the momentum of the work;
- Structured and continuous reflection on data to inform strategy and high leverage actions;
- Efforts to scale parts or the whole of the initiative supported by evaluative thinking;
- The initiative ‘zooming out’ periodically to look at the community at a larger scale and to consider the role of new and potential partners.
What you can do
- Build the skills, knowledge and resources within the backbone and partner organisations to set up and implement contextually appropriate monitoring, evaluation and learning;
- Ensure that the monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) is delivered in line with the principles established earlier and refine them if/as required;
- Continually communicate the strategic learning (insights, outcomes, and progress) across the collaboration and with the wider community. This might include the development of a dashboard to visualise progress;
- Conduct evaluations to assess the performance and progress of specific projects and the initiative as a whole. This might include a focus on the effectiveness and fidelity of the initiative, the contribution of the initiative to system and community level change, and more;
- Continue to facilitate reflections on the community narrative from different perspectives. This might include conducting micro-community impact case studies or discrete research pieces;
- Adapt the MEL framework as new partners are added and greater alignment of policy, funding and program delivery is achieved