Phase 1. Readiness Runway
is all about cultivating urgency for change, having conversations and dialogue about the need for working differently, forming relationships, and building trust.
What you might see
- There is little or no community level data readily available;
- Organisations are producing data to report on and justify their own efforts, which is likely to be focused on activity and outputs, not outcomes;
- There is limited or no data sharing between organisations, due to a sense of ownership over data they collect, and competition between organisations;
- Learning is taking place within individual organisations, focused on improving organisational performance, and unlikely to be shared with other organisations or the community.
What you can do
- Identify quantitative and qualitative data that will help tell the story and describe the current state of play;
- Develop a shared narrative, starting with the community’s concerns, interests and aspirations, and then adding quantitative data where relevant. This should be done slowly, with drafts being tested and refined by various stakeholders;
- Workshop the data with diverse stakeholders to generate new insights and foster shared understanding.
Measurement Tools & Resources
Get support for your initiative
Organise your PlatformC resources
Asset Based Community Development is an approach to sustainable community-driven development. Beyond the mobilisation of a particular community, it is concerned with how to link micro-assets to the macro-environment. More information at this link
There are many more tools and approaches that can be used to engage with and learn about your community, have a look through the following websites for inspiration: 100 Conversations, appreciative inquiry, there are also a number of arts-based methods that can be useful here.