Phase 1. Readiness Runway
is all about cultivating urgency for change, having conversations and dialogue about the need for working differently, forming relationships, and building trust.
What you might see
- Interest from a small number of community members, though they may waver between interest and hope, or the scepticism that comes from negative past experiences;
- People talking about inequity, but with little or no information about it to inform discussions;
- There are pockets of isolated conversations within small groups or sections of the community about the need for change;
- Community members are wanting to learn about how to change and what is required.
What you can do
- Have conversations with diverse groups to build a shared understanding of community strengths and aspirations;
- Gather and analyse different community perspectives about the current and potential roles that different stakeholders play (such as local services, business and government) in the issue and change;
- Work with community on small projects to generate positive experiences of working productively together, as distinct from solving large challenges.
Community Tools & Resources
Get support for your initiative
Organise your PlatformC resources
This resource situates collective impact in relation to similar approaches, notes similarities and differences, and makes recommendations for enhancing collaborative community practice.
This resource is a video of Rich Harwood describing the Harwood Institute’s concept of Turning Outward, or making the community the reference point for everything you do.
This resource contains a series of tools for planning community engagement to be more purposeful, equitable, transparent, and strategic, so that community members are true partners for achieving impact.