Phase 1. Readiness Runway
is all about cultivating urgency for change, having conversations and dialogue about the need for working differently, forming relationships, and building trust.
What you might see
- Wariness of collaboration because of past failures or ‘too much talk’. However, there may still be a sense that something needs to change;
- An event (positive or negative, but more often negative) has triggered more than one person, organisation or group to come together;
- Small groups or pockets of activity are emerging, focused on making a small difference on a part of the puzzle, avoiding being daunted by the scale of the whole challenge;
- A local champion(s) emerges, who is beginning to rally people together, and calling for new ways of working and better outcomes for those whose lives are most affected by the challenge.
What you can do
- Reframe issues and challenges as opportunities for change;
- Create ways to reflect on what people have in common and what connects them;
- Ensure you and others do not accidently dampen or damage the emerging or potential collaboration by seeking or calling for solutions and action too early;
- When people ask about next steps, talk about the need for informal structures, strategic direction and emerging insights, rather than creating overly technical plans or rigid structures for the medium to long term.
Collaboration Tools & Resources
See our latest Facilitator Tools
Understand where your initiative is on the Collaborative Change Cycle
This tool will help you to map and interpret stakeholder dynamics in your initiative. This tool can be useful at the start of an initiative when you are working out the ‘lay of the land’, if things go wrong, if there is conflict, or if you are not making progress.
This tool will help you to identify how ready your system (group, community or organisation) is for collaboration and adaptation. It can also be modified to help you assess readiness for tackling complex challenges.
This resource features Sharon Fraser, CFI Network Member, explaining key concepts and strategies for building the foundations for collaboration, including collective impact, all in less than 35 minutes!
This website contains links to a diverse range of tools spanning: community building; conversations and facilitation; Asset Based Community Development (ABCD); and more.
This resource provides a roadmap for effective collaboration based on five Cs: clarifying purpose; convening the right people; cultivating trust; coordinating existing activities; and collaborating for systems impact.
This resource uses a basic matrix to distinguish between simple, complicated, political, complex, and chaotic issues and challenges, and the types of intervention most appropriate to each.